Accidents that result in death are devastating for the person’s family and loved ones. When it occurs because of someone’s negligence, wrongful death claims can be filed against that person, persons, or company. The claim is brought as a civil action, usually by close relatives or will executors. Survivors are compensated for financial and emotional harm, losses, and suffering they’ve endured because of the death.
What You Can Sue for in Rhode Island
- Burial and funeral costs
- Hospital and medical expenses incurred before the death
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity from the date of the accident until the time of death
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society and companionship
- Prospective future income and earnings over the deceased’s life expectancy
Main Causes of Wrongful Death
There are several causes of wrongful death, including:
- Auto accidents/Truck accidents/Motorcycle accidents. When a driver doesn’t obey the law and causes an accident that results in someone’s death, the negligent driver is held legally responsible. Wrongful death suits recoup a financial settlement to pay for the economic and noneconomic damages sought by a surviving party or parties.
- Aviation accidents. Thousands of planes in the air each day provide many opportunities for accidents. Commercial flights late to their next stop may skip inspections; pilots may be ill-trained. Failure to adhere to FAA guidelines or knowingly hiring incompetent pilots are subject to the wrongful death of suits if accidents occur. Families of those killed have received settlements in the millions. The basis for suits lies in the airlines, as a negligent party, failure to follow FAA and other guidelines.
- Medical malpractice. One of the most difficult suits to win is against doctors or medical facilities for malpractice that results in death. Those won normally involve conduct that is found to be blatantly medically unacceptable and provable. The proof relies on expert medical testimony and behavior outside of the medically approved norm. Suits are a tricky business and require an attorney or attorneys well-versed in malpractice courtroom tactics.
- Defective products. Defective products are everywhere these days. They could be defective from improper manufacturing, poor design, defects from transportation, or malfunctioning safety features. Legally, the manufacturer must keep their products safe from malfunctions that can cause injury or death.
- Criminal acts. Anger can get the best of anyone. Wrongful death can occur when it goes too far, and someone dies because of a fight or attack.
Accidental deaths can occur anywhere and, in any situation, from accidental poisoning to fatal falls on someone’s property to workplace accidents.
The Calvino Law Associates Promise
Wrongful death suits are legally complex and require the services of an experienced attorney. The legal team at Calvino Law Associates has successfully litigated wrongful death lawsuits and secured thousands of dollars in settlements. If you live in Rhode Island or Southern Massachusetts and have lost a loved one to negligence, we are here to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Call us at (401) 205-3733 or use our online contact form.
373 Elmwood Ave.
Providence, RI 02907